Sunday, July 20, 2008

I Followed Through

When I was a kid we were taught to respect our toys. I think it is such an important lesson for kids to learn. That toys cost money and we work hard for our money.

Last night was the last straw. Derek and I checked on the kids before we went to bed and what I found angered me. They had ripped up a book that Ashley had gotten for her birthday. This was after they had broke Ashley's sing and dance My Little Pony a couple of days ago.

It saddened my heart that I had not emphasized respecting property more. It saddened my heart that my kids were breaking things that were gifts that people had put thought and money into.

So this morning I took every toy they owned and put it in the basement. Alexander's bike and fire truck he got for his birthday are also in the basement. I explained to them why we were doing this and I don't think they really get it right now. I know they will though when it comes time for them to play outside or they get bored and want a toy to play with.

It is at that point that I will explain to them again that we respect toys and the like. Because I refuse to have children that think respecting property is a joke and that toys fall out of the sky.

I'm praying that my children absorb this lesson and learn what I'm trying to teach them. I'm also praying that I stay calm and not go crazy when my kids ask me 50 times where this toy is or that toy is.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great lessons to be learned. Good job following through..... that's always so hard!

Sarah said...

Wow. I'm impressed!

And sad for the the Pony, she's broken?!?!

Tracy said...

Oh me.....been there before. I saw your blog on the Sellers blog and thought I'd drop by to say hello.
Tracy

Nina in Portugal said...

You go girl! I agree with everything you said...kids who don't appreciate the things you do for them irritate the stew out of me!

Tracy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracy said...

Respect is a hard lesson to teach. I still have a little trouble from time to time with them respecting one another's properties. Just keep following through and it will be fine.

Unknown said...

I think you did a wise thing. Let us know how it goes!